How to tackle the Australian working Visa

How to tackle the Australian working Visa

So today, we went ahead and filled out the application for the Australian working Visa.  But it wasn’t as bad as people were telling us.

A lot of companies will offer to take the hassle out of applying for a Visa by completing it on your behalf. But for example STA charge a whopping £329. Whereas if you complete it yourself through the Government website, you just pay $440 AUSD which converted is roughly £203.  So you’re already saving over £100 by doing it yourself.

Luke and I are doing the Working holiday Visa Subclass 417, which is for British citizens. There is a Visa that is very similar, that’s why it can get a little confusing.  This particular visa entitles you to 12 months in Australia, and you have up to 12 months to enter Australia from your Visa confirmation.  You are able to work no longer than 6 months with each employer but are able to re-enter Australia any number of times.

Here are the conditions for Working holiday Visa Subclass 417:

  • have not previously entered Australia on a Work and Holiday (Temporary) visa (subclass 462)
  • hold a valid passport from a country involved in the Working Holiday Program with Australia
  • have turned 18 years of age but have not yet turned 31
  • are a genuine visitor who wants to have a holiday in Australia
  • have enough money to support yourself on a working holiday (about AUD 5000)
  • have enough money to buy a return or onward travel ticket at the end of your stay
  • will not be accompanied by dependent children at any time during your stay.

Although I have been told they do not always check how much money you have in your account. So don’t worry if you don’t have all of the funds yet.

Check out the Government website here; 

If you would prefer to do it with a company like STA click here; 

Filling out the Visa.

To fill out the  Visa you will need the following;

  • Passport (Make sure it doesn’t expire whilst you’re out there)
  • National Insurance number
  • Bank card
  • A cup of tea
  • Pen
  • Application

Luke and I wanted to do it together, so I printed the document off and we filled each one out.  We only did this, because we thought it would be easier to do it by hand first in case we made any mistakes.  But to be honest the online application is a little different. It’s good to do if you don’t have all of your supporting docs with you.

Once sent off we may be asked to provide some evidence. This may include the following;

  • pay slips (must be supplied for all specified work performed from 31 August 2015)
  • group certificates
  • payment summaries
  • tax return
  • employer references
  • a completed employment verification form
  • Australian bank statement covering the period of declared specified work.
  • Passport or Birth certificate

I would definitely recommend doing the visa yourself instead of paying a company to do it on your behalf. The process isn’t that long and all questions are easy to answer as long as you don’t have any health problems or Criminal convictions.

The day after I typed it up and sent it off we both received the Visa via email.  We weren’t asked to prove anything, which was a relief. So guess it’s official! We have our visa for Australia.



  1. 08/09/2015 / 14:02

    This is really helpful for people looking to work in Australia. I bookmarked this for future travels. Thanks for sharing!

    • 08/09/2015 / 15:49

      Thank you so much! I was looking for somewhere to help me with the process. But nowhere seems to help you do the application without paying. Good luck in your adventures x

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.